Tivo announced their TivoToGo service yesterday. This is something that I’ve been waiting for since reading about it on ticovommunity.com. The service will allow a user to transfer recorded shows to their pc or laptop, with exceptions for certain copyright tagged shows. Launching mid Jan will be a custom version of Sonic’s MyDVD to allow users to burn their shows to DVD. I haven’t seen if somehting is special with this program or if you could actually just use any DVD burning program such as Nero.
The new software is rolling out now and I put myself on the priority list on tivo.com. It could still take a few weeks to get it.
This is the official TivoToGo info straight from a Tivo rep at tivocommunity official TTG thread
Talking The TiVoToGo™ Feature Has Been Released! Priority List Now Available
We are happy to announce that the TiVoToGo rollout has officially begun! During the scheduled rollout, all Series2 TiVo standalone boxes will receive software version 7.1, which enables the TiVoToGo feature.
What is the TiVoToGo Home Media feature?
The TiVoToGo feature allows you to transfer programs from your TiVo box to your PC running Microsoft Windows® 2000 or XP. This will allow you to watch your favorite programs in another room or take them with you on the road.
How can I get it?
All Series2 standalone customers (except for those with DVD Recorder models – see below) will receive the updated software (version 7.1) during the scheduled rollout process. If you are anxious to receive this feature, we have set up a Priority List at www.tivo.com/priority. Just put in your TiVo Service Number and you will receive the updated software more quickly.
Note: It will take a few weeks for us to update everybody who signs up on the Priority List. Your patience is appreciated.
You will also need the following to use the TiVoToGo feature:
* Version 2.0 of TiVo Desktop for Windows. You can download it at www.tivo.com/desktop. TiVo Desktop for Windows 2.0 is only available for Windows 2000 and XP. If you have an older version of Windows, you will not be able to use the TiVoToGo feature. You can continue to use your existing version of TiVo desktop for the Music and Photo features.
* To play back files on your PC, you will need a supported codec. The TiVo Desktop 2.0 installer will check to see if you have one currently installed. If you do not, more information about how to purchase and install one can be found at www.tivo.com/codec.
* If you have Windows XP, we recommend that you install Windows Media Player 10 to play back the video files. Older versions of Windows Media Player are not supported. If you have Windows 2000, you can try the VLC Media Player.
* Your TiVo box will need to be connected to your home network. If you haven’t connected it yet, refer to the resources listed below for help in getting started.
Can I burn shows to DVD once I transfer them to my PC?
Sonic Solutions® plans to release a version of MyDVD® that will be able to burn programs transferred from a TiVo box to a DVD (if you have a DVD recorder on your PC). There will be a free trial of this software available in mid-January 2005. Sign up here to be notified when the Sonic Solutions software is released.
Is the TiVoToGo feature available for Apple Macintosh computer?
The TiVoToGo feature will initially be available for Windows PCs only. TiVo is working hard to make the TiVoToGo feature available on TiVo Desktop for Mac in the future but no release date is available at this time.
Where can I get more information?
We have more information at www.tivo.com/togo. You can download an updated version of the Home Media Feature guide (in PDF format) at www.tivo.com/guides. Just click the picture of your TiVo box and then “Home Media Feature Guide.” We also have extensive information about setting up and using the TiVoToGo feature at www.tivo.com/support. Just do a search for “TiVoToGo” or “TiVo Desktop.”
* DVD Recorder with TiVo models from Humax, Toshiba, and Pioneer will not receive the TiVoToGo feature until later this year. Toshiba DVD Player models will receive the update during the scheduled rollout process. Please do not sign up at the priority list if you have a DVD Recorder with TiVo model.
* Series1 TiVo boxes and DIRECTV Receiver with TiVo boxes will not receive the TiVoToGo feature.
* If you are using the MoodLogic Music Organizer application (www.moodlogic.com), you will need to upgrade to the latest version to use TiVo Desktop 2.0. You can get the latest version of the Mood Logic application here.
* The WMA Plug-in created by pzand is not compatible with TiVo Desktop 2.0. If you are using that plug-in, you must uninstall it before installing TiVo Desktop 2.0. We attempted to reach pzand but were unable to do so at this time.
* The links to third-party site listed above for informational purposes only. TiVo makes no representations or warranties as to the suitability of third party software. Any installation of third party software is at your risk. If you need support relating to the third party technology, please contact the manufacturer directly.